Volunteers versus Ministers: A Starting Point
At Calvary Temple we believe there is no such a thing as a volunteer. We believe people serving in the church are ministers of the gospel serving in various ways of ministry, whether it is serving a meal, teaching a child, setting up chairs, etc..
Ministry Development Cycle
The Ministry Development Cycle addresses the following: planning and assessment, "Finding your shape to serve" session, application process, oreintation and training, placement and serving, ongoing supervision, evaluation, and recognition or appreciation.
1. Planning and Assessment for Ministry Leader
- We start with planning; each department determines it's serving needs.
- If you are a current ministry leader at Calvary Temple and you have a current human resource need, please notify the church office by using this form, and we will do our best to highlight that need: Click here
2. Attend the "Finding your Shape to Serve" session
- It will be offered a few times throughout the year.
- Click here to read more about this session.
Complete an application form, which includes a request for references. Once completed, please hand the form in to the Calvary Temple office. Then we will set up a time to meet with you for an informal interview.
- Click here to download the Ministry Application Form
4. Orientation and Training
- Attend sessions as requested and become familiar with your new position.
5. Placement and Serving
- Beging ministry duties as assigned and meet with the ministry leader and team.
6. Training, Evaluation, and Appreciation
- Participate in on-going team meetings. Meet with your team leader to evaluate how things are going. Attend the annual Ministry Appreciation Baquet.
All ministers working with vulnerable persons will be required to submit a Criminal Record Check. When submitting this form, you will need to provide two pieces of identification. The ID will be photoocopied and filed for future reference.
You can get this form from your respective ministry leader or you can click here to donwload it.
Rights and Responsibilities
All ministers serving will read, understand and sign a statement.
a) Overall Policy
The mission, guiding principles and core value of Calvary Temple are met through the active involvement of its church family. Calvary Temple encourages ministers to become involved in all aspects of the church ministry.
The purpose of guidelines and policies is to supply basic guidance to both those serving as ministers and the staff.
Our staff will do its best to ensure a rewarding ministry experience by providng everyone on the team with needed support and resources. We believe that all ministers have the potential to make a difference in people's lives, in our church, in our community, and around the world.
b) Ministers Rights
As a minister serving at Calvary Temple, you have the right to:
- Accept a position based on your skills, abilities, and passions, as well as the needs of Calvary Temple or the community.
- A position description, explaining all of the aspects involved
- Receive orientation and training on a continuing basis
- Be treated as a member of a team committed to ministry
- Support and resources necessary to fulfill all expectations of the position
- Be kept informed of all upcoming meetings and training opportunities
- Be given an opportunity to discuss recommendations or suggestions
- Receive feedback on performance, including an evaluation which whould include, but not be limited to:
- Review of goals and objectives
- Identification of results achieved
- Opportunity to voice personal feedback
- Assessment of performance
- Identification of where more training is required
- Exit interview when minister serving ends their term
- End or change assignments when necessary
- Be acknowledged for your contributions to ministry.
c) Minister Responsibilities
As a minister serving at Calvary Temple, you have the responsibility to:
- Accept only as much responsibility as you are able to manage
- Take the necessary training courses; attend meetings and orientations as deemed necessary by the ministry representative
- Read and understand the minister manual and follow policies and procedures
- Read and understand the position description
- Be a coorperative member of a team
- Respect the confidentiality of Calvary Temple and those that you serve
- Understand that all ministers are representatives of Calvary Temple Church and are required to live a lifestyle that agrees with our statement of faith, covenant agreement and minister agreement
- Ensure that sufficent notifcation of absence is given so that the program/ministry is not interrupted.
d) Conflict of interest
While serving as a minister at Calvary Temple, every minister has the responsibility to perform his or her duties in the best interest of those he or she serves. All ministers must adhere to strick business ethics and not receive potential, actual or perceved benefit, etiher financially or professionally during their time of service.